How does recycling plastic help the environment?
Recycling plastic helps reduce the need to extract more raw materials from our earth. Extracting raw materials straight from the earth creates more greenhouse emissions compared to the process of recycling.
“Current UK recycling is estimated to save more than 18 million tonnes of CO2 a year – the equivalent to taking 5 million cars off the road.”
– Veolia, Resourcing the world
Why recycling is not the long term solution for plastic
Although recycling plastic reduces the amount of greenhouse gases being produced — the process still creates carbon dioxide which contributes to the climate change crisis. Furthermore, many plastics do not make it to recycling units, and even if they do, some do not meet the requirements to be recycled.
Specifically, researchers from the University of California at Science Daily expect the demand for plastic to grow by 22% in the next 5 years. And, despite the fact that countries across the world have recycling programs in place, about 90.5% of the world's plastics goes unrecycled.
How We Can Slow the Demand for Plastic
A visionary solution is practicing zero-waste methods from our homes.
“If we want to move towards a low-polluting, sustainable society, we need to get consumers to think about their purchases.”
– David Suzuki
What does zero-waste mean?
Zero-waste is a set of lifestyle principles that focus on waste prevention and conserving resources. This is done by practicing responsible consumer techniques.
- Going to a local grocery store with a reusable shopping bag and buying food that is NOT wrapped in plastic.
- Using bamboo toothbrushes that can be composted once it's worn out. The dirt from the compost can then be used for a backyard garden.
- Buying eco-products that are also shipped in plastic-free packaging.
5 Benefits of Zero-Waste Practices
- Reduces Waste: By considering the full-life span of an item and determining if the product is sustainable.
- Conserves Resources: By decreasing demand for single-use products.
- Saves Money: By being mindful when shopping and buying less unnecessary things.
- Healthier Lifestyle: By avoiding foods wrapped in plastic which means fresh produce will be consumed more instead.
- Inspiring Communities: By connecting to others and supporting zero-waste journeys thereby increasing human morale
How We Do Our Part to Save the Environment
It turns out, plastic floss is just as detrimental as the plastic straw. An alarming amount of plastic floss ends up floating around in our oceans which pollutes and kills marine life by wrapping around their bodies.
At Durapik, we have innovated the way we floss our teeth. Instead of using single-use plastic floss and picks, we have created a zero-waste flossing solution.
The Eco-Floss... is created from biodegradable algae which can be composted and broken down into healthy dirt over time.
The Eco-Flossing Pick... is created from a durable eco-metal, Steel. In the future, the steel can be smelted down and repurposed into something new instead of ending up in landfills filled with plastic.